JCPenney Purchasing Corporation Position Description
Position : Q19 - TECHNICAL DESIGNER
Basic Functions :
Provides technical evaluation and expertise for both Retail and Catalog apparel merchandise in terms of design, construction and manufacture to achieve appropriate fit, quality and style interpretation that helps ensure customer satisfaction and reduce catalog returns.
Principal Responsibilities :
1. Advises supplier and provides expert guidance for master pattern and size grading development, as required, for assigned apparel lines.
2. Assigns apparel specifications and standards required to reflect optimum fit, construction and current styling relative to private brand strategies by developing written specifications for size and construction details.
3. Evaluates supplier's confirmation garments for fit and construction details, as required.
4. Provides expert advise to Buyers, as requested, regarding costs, altemate methods of garment construction, and yardage yield.
5. Assists Product Development management with the development of product packages on private label merchandise including specification, Confirmation Sample guideline / grade rules, detailed drawing of garment, and minimum construction specification that create an integrated prototype set of product "blueprints" based on design concepts.
6. Studies and applies knowledge of the latest techniques and technological advances in equipment and manufacturing techniques, fabric textures and construction, and findings (component parts) to the garment evaluation process.
7. Provides technical evaluation relative to size, fit and constriction for comparison merchandise programs, when required, and uses Catalog returns information and apparel sizing survey data to determine appropriate sizing, quality, and fit problem resolution.
8. Manages garment evaluation training and garment preparation processes, as required and provides on-going technical education (formal and informal) to Buying associates.
Scope Data :
Reports To : Senior Technical Designer / Assistant Technical Design Manager / Technical Design Manager
Supervises : N / A
Human Resources : Supervises N / A
Operating Budget : $N / A
Total Payroll : $N / A
Sales : $N / A
Other Relevant Data :
Knowledge & Skills :
Education : College degree in merchandising or equivalent business experience. Two-year course at approved fashion technical institute preferred.
Experience : Six years in pattern making and grading, or its equivalent.
Core Competencies : Must be knowledgeable of apparel construction and factory workflow / manufacturing techniques / process.
1. Apparel cloth consumption required at lowest cost.
2. Practical size and construction tolerances.
3. Exceptions to established standards.
4. Catalog copy pertaining to sizing, as required, to minimize returns.
Key Relationships :
1. Counsels with Buyers and Product Development in Apparel Divisions regarding size and construction of assigned lines of merchandise.
2. Works on daily basis with apparel suppliers.
3. Works with Quality Assurance Research & Technologies Laboratory in testing and setting standards for approval of components to be used in apparel manufacturing, and with Quality Assurance Field Inspection staff, as requested, to ensure compliance with quality standards.
4. Coordinates with Catalog Customer Service’s and Quality Assurance’s Return management merchandise not meeting specifications.
Key Challenges :
1. Persuading Buyers and others concerning the establishment of construction standards and the acceptance and support of quality control programs to enhance the level and control.
2. Convincing suppliers to adhere to Company standards on a regular basis.
Decision Making :
1. Sizing standards and / or patterns for use by suppliers.
2. Construction techniques for functional performance of apparel.
3. Apparel cloth consumption required at lowest cost.
4. Garment evaluation training methods.
Job Title : Technical Designer
Location : Lahore, PUN, Pakistan - 3rd Floor Commercial Plaza # 12 & 13 K Block, Model Town
Job ID :
J.C. Penney Company Inc.